Property tax bills are issued twice annually, in January and June:
The Interim Tax Bill is issued in January and, as per the Ontario Municipal Act, 2001, cannot exceed 50% of the total taxes billed in the prior tax year. The due dates for the Interim Bill are:
The Final Tax Bill issued in June is the Current Years Taxes less the Interim Tax Bill. The due dates for the Final Tax Bills are:
- August 8th and October 8th
*On occasion, for specific properties, the installment due dates may differ from those shown above. Please check the due dates on your specific tax bill to be sure.
Current Tax Rates By-law No. 2016-18
A penalty is added to all past-due installments or parts thereof as follows:
- 1 ¼% added on the first working day following the due date
- 1 ¼% per month thereafter
Mailing of Tax Bills:
- Under Section 343 (6) & (8) of the Ontario Municipal Act, 2001, the tax bill will be mailed to the taxpayer's residence or place of business or to the premises in respect of which the taxes are payable unless the taxpayer directs the treasurer in writing to send the bill to another address, in which case it shall be sent to that address.
- Failure to receive the tax bill does not relieve the property owner from payment of taxes or liability for penalty on late payment.
Payment of Taxes (and water) can be made in the following manner:
- Municipal Office between 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. – Debit Machine payments are available. We do not accept credit cards or $100 bills.
- Municipal Office through the use of the Drop Box – located at the front of the building.
- At most Canadian Chartered Banks.
- Telephone / On-Line Banking Payment Services are offered by the following banks: TD Canada Trust, CIBC, Bank of Montreal, Scotia Bank, Royal Bank, National Bank, Telpay and Credit Union.
Pre-Authorized Payment Withdrawals
Pre-Authorized Payment Plans are available for automatic withdrawal from your bank account with three options available:
Option #1 - Ten (1) monthly payments January to October on the last banking day of each month.
Option #2 - The regular tax installments at the regular due dates.
Option #3 - Monthly payments in an amount that is agreed upon by the owner and the Township of Severn. Payments are to be withdrawn on the last banking day of each month.
You can submit your request for pre-authorized payments on the prescribed form to the Tax Department.