Only campfires are permitted at this time.
Campfire safety tips
Please follow these safety tips when having a campfire:
- campfires should be no larger than 0.5 m in diameter
- your fire pit should be at least 10 m away from your home and 3 m from your property line or any other structure or combustibles
- avoid campfires during windy weather conditions that may blow embers
- clean leaves and other combustible materials around the pit to ensure the fire doesn't accidentally spread
- always have a container of water or garden hose nearby
- you can only have one campfire on your property at a time
- make sure there is a responsible person watching the fire at all times
Extinguishing a campfire
Here are some tips for safely extinguishing a campfire:
- drown the fire with water
- stir the ashes with a long stick to turn over hot coals and ashes
- move rocks to find hidden embers
- drown the fire with water again
- repeat until the ashes stop smoking and hissing
Township of Severn regulates open-air burning through a permit system. In response to COVID-19, Severn Fire and Emergency Services has suspended all open-air fire permits until further notice.
Before burning of any kind please read the following brochures to determine if you require a permit.